Sunday, January 5, 2020

Fasting

I was never fascinated by Indian teachings or philosophy. I'm more Confucius or Lao Tzu's type of person.

It doesn't prevent me to listen to Indian guru's. Many things they teach resonate with my soul. Like fasting.

We live in a society where eating is a substitute for many things. You are lonely so you eat, you feel depressed so you eat, you think about yourself as ugly, fat, stupid or any other negative belief and what you do? You eat. Even Hobbits can't cope with you. You have more meals a day than they. It is important that you eat something all the time. 

Unfortunately, many times this is junk food. Processes, heavy on E things, dead food. I don't want to preach, it is hard to turn away once you get hooked on all taste enhancers. I'm not even vegetarian or vegan. On the contrary, I don't support it. I believe in balance, not extremes. 

But we often eat the food without any nutritional value, like various snacks (me included), and very fast feel hungry. So we take more. And more. And suddenly, we are looking older, feeling even more tired, we get fat, and this fat is not easy to get rid of. 

I found out that in yogi tradition, there must be at least 8 hours between the meals. I was shocked. How many times I would eat something in 8 hours. Meal, side dish, snack (regardless is it a fruit, vegetable chips, rice cakes or anything else labeled as healthy), cookie or cake, chocolate or similar. Ok, I did cut on unhealthy food and sweets, but still, I feel hungry if I don't eat every few hours. And all western medicine doctors will tell you that you have to have at least 5 smaller meals, instead of 1-2 big ones. 

This is completely opposite to what Indian tradition teaches. So I gave myself a challenge, to try to eat only 2 meals a day. Maybe, I'll take a fruit or two in between and a lot of water. I want to see what will happen if I succeed to do it for 2 weeks as gurus promise miracles and 90% of disease to go away. Let's see. If you want, you can join me and try it for yourself. Who survives starvation will tell how was it.