Monday, December 30, 2019

Power of positive friends

The power of positive friends is priceless.

Let me tell you two stories.

Story #1

When I first moved into my new apartment, I was taken down how old it looked. The last one was much more modern. So even though in my soul, I felt it's warmth, my ego was saying that I moved to worse, not better. 

Then friends came and said, yes it is old, but it is quite lovely. And slowly, I started to look at it with different eyes. 

My view of the location was also negative. I used to live in the center of the town, a short walk distance from anything important. The new site is far from it. So I was dissatisfied until another friend said, "Look, there is BMW parked there. And look at that luxury car. You are living in a wealthy neighborhood." And I realized this is true. There were many expensive cars parked in yards or front of the houses. So I started to see myself living in a castle on Beverly Hills. As this place is on the hill as well, and building I live in is bigger than any other with 11 or more big apartments. 

So, sometimes we are just into a negative emotion, not seeing rationally, and our friends can change this perspective. 

Story #2

I had a problem with the curtains. I tried to fix it by myself but failed. So I asked a friend for advice. And he gave me an idea. But still, I couldn't do it by myself. So I have asked another friend for help. A moment he started to help, I realized that the idea of using glue wouldn't help. It turned out that I'm right. Just by sheer presence, my friend opened my eyes, and I saw a solution. Solution that was there all the time, in front of my eyes. But I was blind to it. I did it, and even to his surprise it worked. I solved a problem because I had a friend willing to help next to me. He didn't have to do anything, only be there. 

This is the power of positive friends. Using their willingness to help us, we discover ways to help ourselves, doors that would not be opened if we didn't knock, and our friends didn't open the door.